co-creation of value through process sketch - by Leslie June 2011.
As a Designer, Strategist, and Ecologist, Leslie approaches her work with systems thinking, human centered + multidisciplinary ways. She is a maker, researcher, and connector of people, history, and ideas. She works efficiently to be most inclusive to all stakesholders; co-creating iterative solutions that address needs and cultural values.
Leslie grew up in Tucson, Arizona in the Sonoran Desert, which taught her to value community. Her parents (and now sister) owns their own architecture firm (The Architecture Company). She benefited from growing up with the opportunity to empathize with both back stage and front stage experiences for designing and buildings and public spaces. They were the first medium sized firm to move into Building Information Modeling, in 2005. She is grateful to have worked six years with her family's design firm post graduation from the University of Arizona with an professional accredited Architecture degree.
Leslie's holds a Master of Information Management Systems from UC Berkeley's School of Information. She focused on museums, libraries and archives with an emphasis in service design. This led her to a Silicon Valley career path of UX and Design Research. Leslie worked with several software startups and the healthcare industry, designing websites for HR Technology at Kaiser Permanente for 180,000+ people, 8 regions and 12,000+ job descriptions. Leslie also lead multi-channel creative cultural heritage projects with the American Institute of Architects, the National Trust for Historical Preservation, and the Center of Asian American Media, etc. She believes that hard work and a critical mass of people can create positive change.
Leslie currently combines her architecture and software design sensibilities to the physical, experiencial, and behavior changing domains to strategize co-developing solutions through analysis and co-creation. She is applying sustainability ideas currently to cultural institutions with the Detroit Revitalization Fellowship serving as the Cheif Sustainability Officer at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History.
Past & Present Project / Clients / Communities I've Worked With
- American Institute of Architects (AIA Arizona, Committee on Design)
- Center for Asian American Media
- Gehl Architects
- Kaiser Permanente (HR Technology - National Web Delivery Team)
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Re:Imagine Group
- SF Mayor's Office of Civic Innovation (Civic Ambassador)
- Tucson Chinese Cultural Center
- The Architecture Company
- YWCA Tucson (TechGyrls, Women and Money Conference)
Timeline of Physical / Digital Projects - scaling human interactions.
Architectural Designers don't build buildings; rather they collaboratively create prototypes to support people's daily activities.
MY DESIGN / BUILD TOOLBOX
- Rapid delivery of people-focused services
- Lean UX
- Lean Construction
- Integrated Project Delivery
- Work with Designers / Engineers / to ask the best questions.
- Remote / In-person Interviews
- Identify/ recruit stakeholders / work with recruiters
- Write screener docs
- Save the date in Web 2.0 ways
- Conduct design workshops
- Participatory design
CONCEPT BUILDING/ PROTOTYPE / UX EXPERIENCE
- HAND SKETCHING VISUALIZATION
- Visual notetaking
- Group sketching / sketching
- Work flows, data flows
- LO-FIDELITY PROTOTYPING
- Lo-fidelity wireframes (balsamiq, keynote)
- Building Information Modeling (3D modeling)
- HI-FIDELITY PROTOTYPING
- High-fidelity wireframes (sketch, photoshop, html, css)
- Full scale models
USABILITY TESTING / EVALUATION
- Develop research plans / guides
- Design/analyze surveys
- Click-through usability tests
- Between-subject tests
- Wizard-of-oz tests
ANALYSIS / SYNTHESIS / COMMUNICATE RESULTS
DOCUMENTATION / COMMUNICATION / EVANGULIZE DESIGN
- Design specifications / Briefs / Reports
- Business Requirement Docments
- Blogs / essays
- Client reviews
- Presentations <see: https://speakerdeck.com/leslietom >
- Social Media strategy